We are looking for a Development Director Superhero! Please send us your resume!
Development Director Job Description
Superhero trio seeks super friend to round out team fighting for food justice in Kentuckiana and beyond. The ideal candidate’s super powers include tracking donor giving with a flash, teleporting to Fresh Stop Market tours with the speed of sound, and inspiring donors to empty their pockets for food justice, all with the end goal of making fresh food a basic human right.
Join one of the region’s leading non-profit organizations working to ignite community power for fresh food access and unite communities to spread food justice across the Universe. New Roots (based in Louisville, Kentucky) seeks a motivated individual to work through the leadership of the Executive Director and take responsibility for planning, creating and implementing highly successful programs for fund-raising activities.
We are seeking someone who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced, flexible, and extremely gratifying work environment.
Desired Skills and Experience – The ideal candidate shows initiative, is curious, has the passion to continually improve our processes, has a “can-do” spirit, positive attitude, willingness to become vegetable-obsessed, and, can work with minimal supervision.
The Director of Development helps strengthen the work of both fundraising and communications for increasing awareness as well as understanding the purposes and initiatives of New Roots to its various constituencies. The Director of Development is an integral part of the team of professionals dedicated to raising funds and building relationships for New Roots.
Minimum requirement: Bachelor’s Degree, three years of successful fundraising experience, and the ability to understand and represent the mission of New Roots.
The necessary superpowers include the ability to:
- Write and communicate clearly;
- Think and plan creatively to develop and improve ongoing initiatives and events;
- Master computer skills including familiarity with our donor management system, Little Green Light;
- Work as a team player and support our current processes and platforms, while always being open to change, iterate and innovate;
- Engage excellent problem-solving skills;
- Focus on the details, with special attention to donor needs;
- Understand and stay ferociously committedto our mission.
The Director of Development (DOD) works under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of New Roots to assess the progress of New Roots in meeting its mission and in developing plans for strengthening its mission. The DOD has responsibility for all areas of fundraising, corporate, government, foundation and individual giving, capital campaigns, planned giving, and some grant writing. The DOD also:
- Shares in the creation and generation of mailings through a database touch program;
- Works with other administration and program staff to secure processes of data collection for reporting to funders;
- Makes mind-blowing presentations to outside groups of potential funders and volunteers;
All with the purpose of increasing enthusiasm, advocacy, and gifts of support for New Roots.
The Director of Development achieves fundraising goals by:
- Creating and implementing all direct mail fundraising campaigns via our online Little Green Light CRM;
- Creating a database touch program to ensure we maintain consistent contact with our constituents;
- Assisting the Executive Director to design the fund-raising programs that support new Root’s mission and goals;
- Assisting with all special events;
- Presenting and interpreting the work of New Roots to potential donors and volunteers, as requested by the Executive Director.
- Carrying out other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- Researching and writing a limited amount of grant proposals to government agencies, private foundations and corporations.
Essential personal attributes:
The Director of Development will have the ability to take both direction and initiative to set priorities and to achieve results. Our ideal DoD will:
- Display a great deal of high-energy;
- Is a great team player;
- Handle the stressful situations on the job;
- Keep a positive attitude (as much as possible!);
- Display a professional presentation with high professional aspirations;
- Understand and stay committed to our mission;
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field;
- Minimum of 3 years fundraising experience;
- Proficiency in MS Office applications;
- Demonstrated ability in making “the ask”;
- Knowledge of fundraising practices and principles;
- Experience running personalized campaigns.
- Ability to interact with and develop rapport with donors, volunteers, board members, families and other staff;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment and successfully meet multiple deadlines;
- Great interpersonal skills, team player and demonstrated, strong communications skills;
- Ability to track and monitor projects and relationships and follow up when necessary.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION please e-mail your resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates deemed most qualified and appropriately fit for the position will be contacted to interview.
New Roots Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
New Roots is hiring two new VISTA AmeriCorps Members! This is our second year of a two-year cycle. Thank you to TASK VISTA in northern Kentucky for this amazing opportunity.
New Roots is also partnering with the Mayor’s SummerWorks Program to hire ten paid interns for 2018. You must be between 16-21 years old by June 10th. The positions run from June 11th to July 27th, 30 hours a week. Please click here to go to the SummerWorks site to sign up. Please call 502-509-6770 for more information.