New Roots is Hiring!
Sustainable Roots VISTA II Position Description: The Sustainable Roots VISTA II will build the capacity of New Roots by 1) Creating a “triage” system of ranking shareholders according to their food literacy;; 2) Work with whole food, plant-based nutrition consultant to train high ranking shareholders as “nutrition buddies;” and, 3) Using New Roots new Mobile App system, create a sustainable system to track shareholders. This work will alleviate poverty by building leadership capacity in individuals living in poverty so they can successfully reduce barriers to fresh food access. Create survey so shareholders can self rank their food literacy;
- Recruit high ranking food literate shareholders to enter a whole food, plant-based nutrition training program with New Roots consultant;
- Pair food literate shareholders with shareholders in need to buddy up and build food literacy among New Roots Fresh Stop Market shareholders in order to retain them over the growing season and into subsequent seasons;
- Engage Fresh Stop Market volunteer leaders to organize a Mobile App action team. This action team will be responsible for managing the maintenance of the application and evaluating its effectiveness;
- Help shareholders download and enter information into mobile app and learn how to receive notifications;
- Track shareholder activities through mobile app; and,
- Design surveys to collect feedback and data from all shareholders.
General AmeriCorps Project Information: KyCC is a statewide coalition of Kentucky colleges and universities, promoting college access, college attainment, and community impact. The KyCC VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program places VISTA members throughout the Commonwealth to combat poverty and build capacity in community organizations, Kentucky colleges and universities, the Appalachian Region and the Kentucky Promise Zone. KyCC achieves its anti-poverty goals through service activities in the following focus areas: Economic Opportunity, Education, and Healthy Futures.
VISTA Terms & Benefits:
· AmeriCorps VISTA is open to all U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 18 and older
· Full-time (40 hours/week), one-year commitment
· Monthly living allowance of $1027 per month ($12,324/year) before taxes
· Upon completion, choose between education award ($6,095) or cash award ($1,800)
· Forbearance/deferment of federal student loans payments
· Eligible to receive healthcare and childcare allowances
· Vacation (10) and sick days (10)
· May be eligible for relocation reimbursement (must be relocating 50 miles or more for service; $1,500 value)
· Access to professional development and training opportunities
· Additional resources: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
New Roots is seeking applicants with community organizing skills, experience living with or working with diverse and vulnerable populations, and a passion for food justice and fresh, local food. The candidate must be good at building, nurturing and maintaining relationships with everyone from community members to board members, individual and corporate donors. New Roots prefers candidates who have unlimited patience for people who may lack the same access to privilege and education that they might have had and can see the sparks of leadership within everyone and slowly and carefully cultivate them. The candidate is not afraid to form close relationships with leaders and shareholders, to really get a deeper understanding of their struggle. A kind, compassionate, warm demeanor is key. The candidate must also be willing and able to work under pressure (especially during the hot growing season), while at the same time strive for work/life balance. New Roots prefers candidates who endeavor for excellence and are willing to go that extra step for great work. The candidate understands that food justice organizing involves a lot of nitty gritty, detailed, and time-consuming small steps for us all to reach our common goals. Attention to detail is a must, while at the same time, maintaining a broad vision and open to listening to and sharing ideas so we can constantly improve. The candidate greatly needs the ability to work well with others and is able to be a productive member of the New Roots team. The ideal candidate shows initiative, is curious, has the passion to continually improve our processes, has a can-do spirit, positive attitude, willingness to become vegetable obsessed, and can work with minimal supervision. We need someone with these personal characteristics: tenacity, empathy and resiliency.
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- College degree preferably in business, social work, sustainable agriculture, public health or similar degree
- A basic understanding of food justice
- Experience with community organizing and working with volunteer leaders to get stuff done
- Background in healthy eating (fresh, seasonal, whole-food, plant-based), meal planning, etc., i.e., a real veggie cheerleader, a plus
- Passion for organic agriculture
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Strong math skills
- Great computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office Suite, social media, etc.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task in a very fluid environment
- Used to working in diverse communities, especially with families of limited income and wealth
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent written skills
- Team player
· Required Screening Survey: https://forms.gle/ogbu2CrmX2HzbHRi8
· Create a My AmeriCorps account and Application: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do;jsessionid=HNpsQncitdpJL8dtYUcUWqU0HKLWDr28TBFax5sGr51SrpHmuKU_!-563516830 .
· Apply for the Kentucky Campus Compact VISTA position: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=86372&fromSearch=true .
How to submit your application correctly: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19XnetmJ3EQ3S7-rp8Y6k8ilJaPjT0LL2/view
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $1027.00 /month
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
- Social work, public health, sustainable agriculture/food justice/food justice, healthy eating coach, or similar vocation: 1 year (Preferred)
- Associate (Required), Bachelor Preferred, in the following fields: social work, public health, or certificate in whole food, plant-based lifestyle