New Roots is Hiring!
Superhero New Roots team seeks super friend to round out the team fighting for food justice in Kentuckiana and beyond. The ideal candidate’s superpowers include tracking donor giving with a flash, teleporting to Fresh Stop Market tours with the speed of sound, and inspiring donors to empty their pockets for food justice, all with the end goal of making fresh food a basic human right.
Join the region’s leading non-profit organizations working to ignite community power for fresh food access and unite communities to spread food justice across the Universe. New Roots (based in Louisville, Kentucky) seeks a motivated individual to work through the leadership of the Executive Director of New Roots and take responsibility for planning, creating, and implementing highly successful programs for fund-raising activities.
We are seeking someone who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced, flexible, and extremely gratifying work environment. This is a part-time position (~10 hours per week).
Desired Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will show initiative, is curious, has the passion to continually improve our processes, has a “can-do” spirit, positive attitude, willingness to become vegetable-obsessed, and can work with minimal supervision. We are social entrepreneurs involved in a cutting-edge social enterprise. We are looking for someone who is comfortable in that constantly changing and dynamic atmosphere.
Minimum requirement: Bachelor’s Degree, three years of successful fund-raising experience, and the ability to understand and represent the mission of New Roots. Proficiency in MS Office applications. Has demonstrated ability in making “the ask” to both major and small donors and potential corporate sponsors. Knowledge of Little Green Light CRM is a plus.
Essential Personal Skills Include:
● Has a deep understanding of social justice and racial equity, with a love and passion for food justice;
● Takes both direction and initiative to set priorities and to achieve results;
● Excellent written and oral communications, including computer skills;
● Thinks and plans creatively to develop and improve ongoing programs and events;
● Works as a team player, supportive of the overall organizational process;
● Displays excellent problem-solving skills;
● Pays close attention to detail; and,
● Understands and stays committed to our mission;
The Part-Time Development Director (DD) works under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of New Roots to assess the progress of New Roots in meeting its mission and in developing plans for strengthening its mission. The DD has the capability and responsibility for all areas of fundraising, corporate, government, foundation and individual giving, capital campaigns, planned giving, and some grant writing. The DD makes presentations to outside groups of potential funders and volunteers as requested to increase enthusiasm, advocacy, and gifts of support for New Roots.
The DD achieves fundraising goals by:
● Creating and implementing all direct e-mail fundraising campaigns via our online Little Green Light CRM;
● Meets with individual and corporate donors, in person and on the phone, and engages in friend raising;
● Keeps up with donors, engaging them in the work and inspiring them to give regularly;
● Assisting with all special fundraising events;
● Some limited researching and writing of grant proposals to government agencies, private foundations and corporations; and,
● Carrying out other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
Hourly team member for now, with the opportunity to advance way beyond this galaxy as we grow! Wages are $18/hour.
Approximately 10 hours / week year-round. We can work out hours on a flexible schedule, either working from home or from our office in the Portland Neighborhood of Louisville.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability. We encourage all qualified people to apply. To apply for this position, please e-mail your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. Deadline is April 15th. Only those candidates deemed most qualified and appropriately fit for the position will be contacted to interview.
The KyCC Americorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program places VISTA members throughout the Commonwealth to combat poverty and build capacity in community organizations, Kentucky colleges and universities, the Appalachian Region and the Kentucky Promise Zone.
Sustainable Roots VISTA:
The Sustainable Roots VISTA will build the capacity of New Roots by 1) Partnering with eight market managers to recruit, develop and maintain volunteer leaders and allies to run Fresh Stop Markets; 2) Build on our new relationship with the area Food Bank (Dare to Care) to create a system for shareholder outreach and joint marketing; and, 3) Using New Roots new Mobile App system, create a sustainable system in which limited-resource volunteer leaders create, run and sustain a local food system within their own fresh-food insecure communities, including partnering with subsidized senior high rises.
- Background check required
- Community organizing skills
- Experience living with or working with diverse and vulnerable populations
- A passion for food justice and fresh, local food
- Skilled with spreadsheet design and other Microsoft Office type applications, as well as social media
- Experience with building, nurturing, and maintaining relationships with community members, board members, individuals and corporate donors
VISTA Terms & Benefits
- Full-time (40 hours/week), one-year commitment
- Monthly living allowance of $1,250 per month
- Professional development training
- End of service educational award
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $1,250.00 per month
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Weekend availability
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple Locations
Send your resume to VISTA@kycompact.org
Visit kycompact.org/vista to learn more! or contact Service site at 502-509-6770 or firstname.lastname@example.org