New Roots is Hiring!
VISTA Position Description:
The Sustainable Roots VISTA will build the capacity of New Roots by 1) Partnering with eight market managers to recruit, develop and maintain volunteer leaders and allies to run Fresh Stop Markets; 2) Secure strategic partnerships with organizations that employ workers not earning a livable wage; and, 3) Using New Roots new Mobile App system, create a sustainable system in which limited-resource volunteer leaders create, run and sustain a local food system within their own fresh-food insecure communities.. This work will alleviate poverty by building leadership capacity in individuals living in poverty so they can successfully reduce barriers to fresh food access.
- Implement a volunteer committee consisted of volunteer leaders. This committee will be responsible to ensure all volunteers have the necessary materials to excel in all future events.
- Recruit a diverse set of volunteers to test our mobile app, and create a sustainable and effective database to accurately capture their feedback.
- Design a blog-post so that shareholders that are using the application can share their positive experience using the application.
- Engage market partner leaders to organize a mobile app action team. This action team will be responsible for managing the maintenance of the application and evaluating its effectiveness.
General AmeriCorps Project Information: KyCC is a statewide coalition of Kentucky colleges and universities, promoting college access, college attainment, and community impact. The KyCC VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program places VISTA members throughout the Commonwealth to combat poverty and build capacity in community organizations, Kentucky colleges and universities, the Appalachian Region and the Kentucky Promise Zone. KyCC achieves its anti-poverty goals through service activities in the following focus areas: Economic Opportunity, Education, and Healthy Futures.
VISTA Terms & Benefits:
· AmeriCorps VISTA is open to all U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 18 and older
· Full-time (40 hours/week), one-year commitment
· Monthly living allowance of $945 per month ($11,340/year) before taxes
· Upon completion, choose between education award ($6,095) or cash award ($1,800)
· Forbearance/deferment of federal student loans payments
· Eligible to receive healthcare and childcare allowances
· Vacation (10) and sick days (10)
· May be eligible for relocation reimbursement (must be relocating 50 miles or more for service; $1,500 value)
· Access to professional development and training opportunities
· Additional resources: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
We seek applicants with community organizing skills, experience living with or working with diverse and vulnerable populations, and a passion for food justice and fresh, local food. Skilled with spreadsheet design and other Microsoft Office type applications, as well as social media. They must be good at building, nurturing and maintaining relationships with everyone from community members to board members, individual and corporate donors.
We prefer candidates who have unlimited patience for people who may lack the same access to privilege and education that they might have had and can see the sparks of leadership within everyone and slowly and carefully cultivate them. The candidate is not afraid to form close relationships with leaders and shareholders, to really get a deep understanding of their struggle. A kind, compassionate, warm demeanor is key. Must also be willing and able to work under pressure (especially during the hot growing season), while at the same time strive for work/life balance. We prefer candidates who endeavor for excellence and are willing to go that extra step for great work. The candidate understands that food justice organizing involves a lot of nitty gritty, detailed, and time-consuming small steps for us all to reach our common goals. Attention to detail is a must, while at the same time, maintaining a broad vision and open to listening to and sharing ideas so we can constantly improve. Must love to work with others and want to become part of a team.
· Required Screening Survey: https://forms.gle/ogbu2CrmX2HzbHRi8
· Create a My AmeriCorps account and Application: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do;jsessionid=HNpsQncitdpJL8dtYUcUWqU0HKLWDr28TBFax5sGr51SrpHmuKU_!-563516830 .
· Apply for the Kentucky Campus Compact VISTA position: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=86372&fromSearch=true .
How to submit your application correctly: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19XnetmJ3EQ3S7-rp8Y6k8ilJaPjT0LL2/view
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $945.00 /month
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $945.00 /month
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
- Sustainability: 1 year (Preferred)
- Associate (Required)